Tuesday, December 7, 2010

The Sweater

It arrived in the mail a little bit early. A birthday card from a friend with a note penned, "Here's $50 go shopping". So when the day came I made my way to store where I normally just window shop. On a rack marked "sale" I found what I wanted: a black sweater with fancy ruffles on the front. It was the perfect mix of a classic touched by a trend. So I handed the clerk my money then waited nearly a month and this past Sunday I wore it. But not only that, I treasured it. And I kept the compliments I received tucked tightly in my heart.

When I returned home, I draped the sweater gently over a chair in my room instead of returning it to its proper place. Little did I realize that the sweater slipped from the chair and fell into the laundry basket until today when I pulled a little black sweater from the dryer. Ahh... I sighed as my heart sank with disappointment.

It was an expensive lesson learned that material things are fleeting and should stay tucked in a closet, not in a corner of my heart because when they do, they might try to shape my identity, puff up my pride, or steal the place of important virtues. Now my little black sweater can still be worn, but I shall never wear it the same way again.

"Therefore, as God's chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience." -Colossians 3:12

No comments: