Tuesday, January 19, 2010

The Echo in Her Tummy

My six year old and I were having a conversation about prayer. As a parent, I always try to make the most of teachable moments, especially those that touch on faith. I instructed her to talk to Jesus about what she feels and thinks, just like she would with me or with another family member or a friend. She then turned to me and said, "But when I pray, I don't hear the echo in my tummy."

"What?" I asked, puzzled by her response.

"You told me that when Jesus talks back to me, it will sound like an echo in my tummy." She explained.

Instantly my memory turned up a conversation in which I think I tried to explain that sometimes when God speaks to us it can seem like a still, small voice inside (in addition to other ways such as through God's Word). Well, after that conversation, she walked away with the idea that she should wait to hear an echo in her tummy.

Her mindset is so innocent and precious.

On a serious note, I pray tonight for the six year old's in Haiti who have an echo in their tummies from the extreme hunger they are experiencing, and the echo of pain in their hearts.

No comments: