Sunday, January 17, 2010

Praying for Haiti

My daughter straps on broken wings without giving a thought to the possibility they may not fly. Outside the rain pours down while she talks of picnics. Her world is safe, simple and secure.

It is a far cry from another world where little girls have strapped on broken hearts instead of broken wings, knowing they may never mend. Outside the night sky serves as a makeshift ceiling, while the ground provides a makeshift bed. Their world is complicated and chaotic.

Oswald Chambers once wrote, "When you work, you work; but when you pray, God works." We are praying the words of Psalm 23 for all the earthquake victims suffering in Haiti today:

1 The LORD is my shepherd, I shall not be in want.

2 He makes me lie down in green pastures,
he leads me beside quiet waters,

3 he restores my soul.
He guides me in paths of righteousness
for his name's sake.

4 Even though I walk
through the valley of the shadow of death,
I will fear no evil,
for you are with me;
your rod and your staff,
they comfort me.

No comments: