Monday, February 8, 2010

Prayer

What's in a prayer? Is it something we mumble under our breath before heading out to work in the morning? Is it a plea we make on a whim when things are not going our way?

I believe prayer is talking with God.

If I can be honest with you, when I pray, I don't necessarily picture God sitting on His throne, but rather in a rocking chair by a fireside. His hair is white and his smile kindly invites me to enter into a conversation with him. I am not sure if this vision emerged out of fondness for my grandfather, or out of a nostalgic view of Santa Clause still lingering from childhood. Nevertheless, when I pray, I talk with God, not some character I have conjured up in my imagination.

How about you? Has your prayer life been more like a brief hello or a fireside chat?

"Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus."
-Philippians 4:6,7

No comments: