Saturday, March 6, 2010

My Independence

Somewhere between being a girl and becoming a woman, I bought into the idea of living independently. And while independence can be good in certain contexts, it can also be detrimental.

As a freshman at Penn State I spent my nights socializing at fraternities. "This is Leaha. She is an Independent," the frat brothers would introduce me in this way to point out that I was not affiliated with any sorority.

Now, so many years later, I still find myself living up to that label. But independence can come with a price. Often for me, independence is spelled
L-O-N-E-L-Y.

You see, independence clashes with community. Like siblings they rival with each other, unable to get along. So while I crave community, I often default to independence. For me community is the sibling I don't naturally seek out while independence is always eager to play.

1 John 1:7 "But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship with one another..."

How about you?

No comments: