Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Spills and Stains

The culture we live in is not contained. It spills out. It overflows. It splatters. It even splatters onto our children.

As a woman madly in love with Jesus Christ, I always feel the need to come alongside my daughters with a wet rag to wash their hands and faces. But I realize that no matter how hard I try, I still miss a spot.

So I tuck my girls into bed and take Jesus by the hand, asking him to go where I cannot go, to see what I cannot see, to clean what I cannot clean.

And when the culture has spilled and left some stains, I trust that Jesus knows how to clean it up.

The proverbs of Solomon son of David, king of Israel:
2 for attaining wisdom and discipline;
for understanding words of insight;
3 for acquiring a disciplined and prudent life,
doing what is right and just and fair;
4 for giving prudence to the simple,
knowledge and discretion to the young-
5 let the wise listen and add to their learning,
and let the discerning get guidance-
6 for understanding proverbs and parables,
the sayings and riddles of the wise.
7 The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge,
but fools despise wisdom and discipline.
8 Listen, my son, to your father's instruction
and do not forsake your mother's teaching.
9 They will be a garland to grace your head
and a chain to adorn your neck.
-Proverbs 1:1-9

No comments: