Thursday, January 19, 2012

No Power

Even though our hearts may cringe when something parades across our memories, the past has now power over us. I was reminded of this truth some time ago when I met a woman covered in the scent of grief as she spoke in memory of her lost loved ones. I listened, inhaling the aroma of her sadness. It smelled familiar, yet unfamiliar, like a perfume I know I have smelled before, but could not identify. Still, sadness clung to her, all musky and bold. She did not cry, her eyes did not even tear up. Instead, she spoke matter-of-factly as if her loved ones were still with us. And all I could do was breathe in her sorrow while listening to her stories.

Are you wearing the aroma of sadness today? Let me remind you that the past has no power over you.

"This is the day that the Lord has made; Let us rejoice and be glad in it."
-Psalm 118:24

No comments: