Monday, July 23, 2012

"A True Home" London Blog #1

I have officially arrived in London! Both my husband and I took the journey together across the pond. Thank you for checking in with us. But more importantly, thank you for joining me on my quest for discovering the Divine in everyday life. I would like to start this post by first posing a question; If keeping current with the culture we live in helps each of us to maintain a sense of normalcy, then how do we at the same time keep from making this world our home? I personally cannot help but notice how this world offers such unique smells, sights and sounds that lend themselves nicely to this small town girl. But as nice as these things may seem, my own culture tends to make me into a creature of habit. Still, I could not help but feel nostalgic last night at the soprano sounds of a British flight attendant practically singing, "Would you like some tea?" And even though my view from 30E on British Airways flight 2166 hardly reminded me of home, I began to realize how quickly the idea of home could be challenged. It is when I think of home in a broader sense that I discover the Divine. In John 15:19 Jesus says, "If you belonged to the world, it would love you as its own. As it is, you do not belong to the world, but I have chosen you out of the world." I was never chosen by Lutz or London to become one of its citizens or a member of its community. But I have been chosen by Christ to become a citizen of heaven, and I believe you have too. So regardless of which culture you claim as your own, or wherever in the world your feet may walk, check your heart to see if that same culture keeps you from calling heaven your true home. And in doing so, I believe you too will discover the Divine.

No comments: